New Pre-University courses at Monaghan Institute 2018/19
Monaghan Institute is launching a suite of Pre-University programmes for the 2018/19 academic year. Pre-University programmes are becoming an increasingly popular path to assist students to access their preferred degree choice at third level.
The programmes enable learners to gain a foundation level of knowledge in their chosen field with a focus on progression to degrees. As university preparation courses they include many benefits:
- Universities have increased programme links and reserved places for QQI learners in recognition of the value of this route to Higher Education.
- Boost learner’s skills and confidence before they begin more intensive study as part of degree programme.
- Learners become familiar with routine college skills including: research skills, referencing, management of continuous assessment and assignment development.
- Courses are short – typically no longer than one year. They also contain vocational placements, which is beneficial for UCAS applications.
Pre-University Programme Guide 2018/19
– Pre-University Animal & Agri-Sciences
– Pre-University Arts
– Pre-University Business & Accounting
– Pre-University Computing
– Pre-University Health & Social Studies
Animal & Agri-Science
The Pre-University programme in Animal & Agri-Science is designed to equip learners with the skills and underlying knowledge required to work in the evolving sector of animal and agri-science related industries. Students will receive a solid foundation in Biology and basic Agri-Science principles and practices. The course also includes an opportunity to provide direct care to animals through course study as well as through a work setting.
Career opportunities in this area include: Boarding Kennels or Shelter Veterinary Nurse, Veterinary Assistant, Zoo Keeper and Agriculture Science. Some of the popular degree progression routes from this course are:
– Science / UCD
– Veterinary Nursing / UCD
– Biosciences (Biopharmaceuticals) / Carlow IT
– Pharmaceutical Science / Tralee IT
– Agricultural Science / UCD
Business & Accounting
Pre-University Business & Accounting aims to provide a clearly structured education programme providing a solid foundation for progression to numerous areas including commerce, finance, accounting, economics and law. Learners will develop an understanding of the business world and skills necessary to advance in this field. You will be introduced to the key computer application packages used in the modern office environment, as well as preparing learners for further study in these disciplines.
There are opportunities to progress to careers in Accountancy, Sales and Marketing, Business Administration, Banking and Finance, Retail, Human Resources, Customer Care and IT. Some of the popular degree progression routes from this course are:
– Accounting and Finance / DCU
– Commerce / UCD / NUIG
– Business & Accounting / NUIM
– Business / DkIT (Year 1&2 at MI)
– Economics, Politics and Law / DCU
Health & Social Studies
Pre-University Health & Social Studies is designed for students wishing to progress to study in social studies; psychology and sociology; arts and youth work disciplines at University. The course introduces the theory and practice of social studies and social care, encouraging students to develop their knowledge of social issues, psychology, community care and practice. This course also offers an opportunity to gain an insight into care provision and an understanding of client centred care. You can pursue careers in Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Youth and Community Work, Counselling, Education & Welfare, Respite Services and Residential Care. Some of the popular degree progression routes from this course are:
– Applied Social Sciences / NUIG
– Community and Youth Work / NUIM
– Psychology and Sociology / University of Limerick
– Arts (Child, Youth and Family) / NUIG
– Social Care Practice / Athlone IT
The Pre-University Computing course is designed for students interested in digital skills, computer coding or STEM subjects. Learners become equipped with skills for future digital industries while also providing a progression route to University programmes. There are many progression routes available for careers in: Software Engineering, IT and Cyber Security, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Games Design Development and Data Mining. Some of the popular degree progression routes from this course are:
– Computer Science / UCD
– Digital Humanities & IT / UCC
– Game Design / DIT
– Business Information Systems / NUIG
– Computer Science / UCC
This programme is designed for students wishing to study Arts at university. This Pre-University Arts programme is a flexible, interdisciplinary and innovative course which enables students to tailor their studies from a wide range of options in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences’ fields.
Pre-University Arts introduces learners to research skills, academic writing skills and methods of study that are necessary for successful participation at third level – it provides a broad scope of study rather than a narrow focus and this allows students to gain learning experience in a wide range of subject matter. Many career opportunities lie in this area such as: Teaching, Journalism, Sociology, Psychology, Archaeology, Writing, Public Relations, History, Human Resources, Art, Social Work and research opportunities. Some of the popular degree progression routes from this course are:
– Post Primary Teacher Education / DCU
– Arts Degree (Joint Honours) / UCD
– Theology and Arts / St. Patricks College
– Social Science / NUIM
– Applied Psychology / UCC
If you are interested in completing a Pre-University course in one of Irelands leading Further Education Colleges please visit our Pre-University page to browse and apply; or call to our next Open Evening Event on Thursday 17th May 2018 from 4-7pm.