What do we do?
As the principle vehicle of communication and representation between learners, teachers and the local community, the Students’ Union is involved in promoting and improving the quality of life of each learner attending Monaghan Institute.
How does it work?
The Students’ Union consists of a President, Vice President and one representative from each course. From these representatives, a Chairperson, Secretary & Treasurer are chosen. Together the team organises various functions throughout the year to benefit both the learners and the local community. The Union provides opportunities for involvement and individual development of all learners, encouraging the widest possible participation in a variety of activities.
Past “fun-filled” events
- The Students’ Union members organise fund raising events for different charities such as bed pushes, head shaves, coffee mornings, sponsored walks, auctions, table quiz, raffles, Christmas food appeals, Ribbon Appeal, concerts, karaoke and talent nights.
- The Book and Creative Writing club share stories and part-take in workshops with guest speakers.
- The Photography club share ideas and techniques by taking photos of college events.
- The Music club play at seasonal celebrations which include the Halloween Bat Festival and Fancy Dress, Christmas Lunch Party, Green Day for St. Patrick’s Day and End of Year Formal.
- The Debating Society is involved in competitions with other PLC colleges in the region.
- Football, Soccer and Hurling teams have participated in competitions with other Further Education Colleges and Universities.
- Basketball, Badminton and Futsal leagues provide opportunity for participation in team sports and there is even the Staff v Students challenge match.
- Learners have access to the football pitch, sports hall and gym on campus. They can also avail of Tanagh Outdoor Education Centre, where they can go abseiling, canoeing, orienteering and camping.