Over the years, Monaghan Institute has been dynamic in initiating and developing broader educational links within Europe and beyond. A number of highly successful exchange projects have resulted.
- The SOCRATES project during 1996/97 linked Monaghan Institute with European partners – Kursuscentre, Denmark and Pontypridd College, Wales, in the development of a European Studies module.
- Students from Ales, in the South of France proved excellent partners for Leisure & Tourism students in a three week work placement exchange funded by the LEONARDO programme in 1997/98. Similarly, in January 1999 Childcare and Leisure students participated in a LEONARDO exchange to Holland.
- Also in 1999, a number of students from Monaghan Institute took part in a WIDER HORIZONS Customer Care training programme which culminated in two months work experience in Toronto, Canada during the summer.
- In 2003, 2005 and 2007, Childcare students completed three weeks work placement in Brakel, Germany on a LEONARDO exchange.
- Nursing students also visited Thisted, Denmark on a similar LEONARDO work placement programme in 2005 and 2007.
- IT & Office Administration students visited Quimper, France in 2009 & Information Technology students travelled to Holland in 2010, also funded through LEONARDO.
- In 2015, Multimedia, Business Administration, Computer Games Design and Information Technology students completed work placement in Drachten, Holland, under the ERASMUS PLUS programme.
- In January-February 2018, Level 5 Computer Games and Level 6 Software Development students completed their mandatory course of work experience in Groningen, in the Netherlands. This exciting opportunity was facilitated through the ERASMUS PLUS programme.